Hi Phil

Thanks again for the helpful reply.
I 100% agree with you about the problem of false negatives with RFC3230.
I am not in favour of the its use and will do my best to highlight these
issues with those who are proposing its use with the draft cavage spec.

I also share your worry about the potential for things to move back to a
SOAP style of API.

Having a look at the
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-oauth-signed-http-request-03 spec it
is quite general purpose, whereas I'm in favour of something that is
explicitly designed for JSON requests and responses. If there was
confidence in the JSON canonicalisation described in
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-erdtman-jose-cleartext-jws-00 then this
seems to enable APIs to stay REStful but with the support for
self-contained signatures. For many applications I agree that there will
need to be some repetition of values in the JSON payload that are already
in the header, e.g. audience, issuer and time. But if general purpose HTTP
signing is a lost cause, then "Cleartext JSON Web Signatures" seem the next
best thing.

Dave

--
Dave Tonge
CTO

Moneyhub Enterprise is a trading style of Moneyhub Financial Technology
Limited which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Conduct
Authority ("FCA"). Moneyhub Financial Technology is entered on the
Financial Services Register (FRN 809360) at fca.org.uk/register.
Moneyhub Financial
Technology is registered in England & Wales, company registration number
06909772 .
Moneyhub Financial Technology Limited 2018 ©

DISCLAIMER: This email (including any attachments) is subject to copyright,
and the information in it is confidential. Use of this email or of any
information in it other than by the addressee is unauthorised and unlawful.
Whilst reasonable efforts are made to ensure that any attachments are
virus-free, it is the recipient's sole responsibility to scan all
attachments for viruses. All calls and emails to and from this company may
be monitored and recorded for legitimate purposes relating to this
company's business. Any opinions expressed in this email (or in any
attachments) are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the
opinions of Moneyhub Financial Technology Limited or of any other group
company.