>  Is this a matter of saying they should have an API for these clients
which exposes less of the risky activities? That cookies provide a
defense against XSS exfiltration? And/or other?

HTTPOnly cookies prevent exfiltration of session or token data stored in
cookies. Those cookies can be REPLAYED via XSS (stored request forgery
via XSS) but they indeed cannot be stolen.

I also reject serverless SPA architectures that store tokens from a wide
variety of services, especially for high risk apps that use complex web
UI's. The chance of building such things securely for most teams is
painfully low.

- Jim

--
Jim Manico