These numbers in the diagram correspond to the numbered steps in the
paragraphs below the diagram. Perhaps using non-duplicated numbers would
help, such as "1a" and "1b" instead of two instances of "1"? Although I'm
not sure how that would work exactly because the "1/2/3" are really just a
single action as described by the "Note" below the diagram in your
screenshot.

---
Aaron Parecki
https://aaronparecki.com