Thanks for your comments, Murray!

Replies below.

Am 13.04.23 um 07:45 schrieb Murray Kucherawy via Datatracker:
Murray Kucherawy has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-oauth-dpop-14: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer tohttps://www.ietf.org/about/groups/iesg/statements/handling-ballot-positions/ for more information about how to handle DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-dpop/

COMMENT:

Most of the SHOULDs here seem unsupported to me, in the sense that I'm not
clear what interoperability breaks if I decide not to do what it says.  Some
prose about that would be helpful to include.

Looking at the draft again, we have only a few SHOULDs and for all of them I think it is clear what the consequences are of not doing it.

For example, the first one reads "To reduce the likelihood of false negatives, servers SHOULD..." which implies that not following the SHOULD means risking false negatives. The other instances are concerned with providing information to clients in DPoP challenges. I think it is sufficiently clear that not providing this information may make it harder for the client to respond properly and to debug errors.

At this time, we do not see the need for additional explanation for any of the SHOULDs.

I know this isn't the first OAUTH document I've reviewed, but I still find it
strange that claim names are not quoted or in all-caps or something.  In prose,
they just look like typos to me.

As I wrote in the thread for Step-Up Authn:

"Since the same comment was raised also for DPoP, my two cents on this:

We discussed this very topic when finalizing RFC9207. Back then, we noticed that when using the correct markup in the XML (<tt>), the HTML renders fine (gray background, monospaced font) but depending on how the textual format is created, there may or may not be quotes around the parameter. Adding quotes manually in the XML source does not make too much sense as they'll needlessly show up in the HTML as well. IIRC there was some version of xml2rfc that added quotes around <tt> parts but that was removed again.

So the consensus was that prioritizing proper HTML output makes sense and we did not add any quotes (with the blessing of the RFC editor)."

-Daniel