Hi Roman,

I'm going to dodge some of the bigger picture questions but wanted to give
a bit of historical context/justification for the
draft-ietf-oauth-selective-disclosure-jwt work in the OAuth WG.

JWT <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/rfc7519/> itself was a product of
OAuth WG yet was intentionally developed as a general-purpose token format
with no direct dependency or relation to RFC6749
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc6749>. JWT certainly had useful
applications in OAuth/RFC6749 but it wasn't limited to such. JWT has seen
widespread usage in a variety of applications and other standards, which is
arguably a testament to the intent and nature of that development.

SD-JWT
<https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-oauth-selective-disclosure-jwt/>
is basically just a selective disclosure mechanism for JWT. It builds on
and leverages the established and familiar constructs of JWT. It is
similarly intended to be a general-purpose specification. Given that broad
intent and SD-JWT's relationship to JWT, with JWT's heritage of being
developed in the OAuth WG, it seemed only natural and appropriate that
SD-JWT follow suit and find its "home" for development in the OAuth WG too.
SD-JWT has been an active work item of the WG for about a year and has
matured nicely in that environment. I'm (maybe naively) hoping that the
work is closer to the end of its time in WG than it is to the beginning.

On Fri, Sep 8, 2023 at 1:08 PM Roman Danyliw <r...@cert.org> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> We've observed growing energy around JWT, selective disclosure and VC
> related topics in the WG in recent meetings.  We spent almost all of the
> third OAuth meeting at IETF 117 on related topics.  The initial SD-JWT
> (draft-ietf-oauth-selective-disclosure-jwt) has been followed up with
> SD-JWT-VC (draft-ietf-oauth-sd-jwt-vc).  There is also work like
> draft-looker-oauth-jwt-cwt-status-list being proposed.
>
> As promised at IETF 117, we would like to start a conversation about the
> direction the WG would like to take at a strategic level rather than
> continuing to deal this topic in one document increments of additional
> scope.
>
> ** What's the body of work around SD/JWT/VC that should be done and how
> much work will that be?  What needs to be done first?  What unknown about
> the direction and needed tasks?
>
> ** For whatever that work might be, how should the OAuth charter evolve to
> support the work?
>
> ** Is there work to be done around bridging the architectural narrative
> used in the core OAuth framework/RFC6749 (AS, RS, RO) and three part model
> (issuer, holder, verifier) used in
> draft-ietf-oauth-selective-disclosure-jwt?
>
> Thanks,
> Roman, Hannes, and Rifaat

computer. Thank you._