Hi Jacob,

this check is mainly important for the Holder to ensure the integrity of the received SD-JWT. For the Verifier, there is not much to gain by checking this (but it also doesn't hurt either).

However, we intended to keep the algorithms for the Holder and Verifier similar and therefore decided to not make an exception for the Verifier here. It also enforces good "hygiene" for the Holder to not send any Disclosures that don't belong into the SD-JWT (for example, a Disclosure that originates from a claim in a recursive data structure, but where the parent claim is not disclosed to the Verifier). This can also help to avoid privacy problems.

-Daniel