Mid-year rebound forecast
By Wang Bo (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-04-08 07:43
Comments(0) PrintMail

The government's $586-billion stimulus package may be strong enough to drive
the economy to an early rebound in the middle of this year, the World Bank said
yesterday, adding a caveat that a full recovery ultimately depends on
developments in the advanced economies.

"Fueled largely by the huge economic stimulus package, a recovery in China is
likely to begin this year and take full hold in 2010, contributing to the
region's stabilization," the bank said in its latest semi-annual report on the
economic health of East Asia and the Pacific region.

"A wide range of economic indicators in China are improving," indicating that a
recovery is underway, said Vikram Nehru, the World Bank's chief economist for
the East Asia and Pacific region.