From: obsnw@googlegroups.com [mailto:obsnw@googlegroups.com] On Behalf Of Nodi
Murphy
Sent: 08 June 2015 11:00 PM
To: Veronica Paulse; Yvette Coetzee; ONW; obsnw@googlegroups.com
Subject: [obsnw] Fwd: Observatory

Observatory

Mon, 08 Jun 2015 22:57:02 +0200

Nodi Murphy <n...@oia.co.za><mailto:n...@oia.co.za>

brett.her...@capetown.gov.za<mailto:brett.her...@capetown.gov.za>,
obsnw@googlegroups.com<mailto:obsnw@googlegroups.com>

Mr Herron,
you are the ward Councillor for my area, Observatory. However I see from the
website, wherein I found your address, that you have many CT suburbs under your
remit. You must be a busy man.

I have recently joined the Observatory Neighbourhood Watch (ONW) and am a
subscriber to both the ONW WhatsApp and URGENT group. I rue the day. It never
stops!

Mine was a quiet life - only 4 attempts to steal my car (a Nissan 1400, very
popular) and some R4,000 to replace locks (doors, ignition and gear lock) all
told. And then there was that time that I had to relay 16 bricks that had been
prised out of my driveway to support my neighbours' car when all four wheels
were stolen... That's over a 4 year period. Not much to complain about, really.
I haven't been accosted at my front door, as was my other neighbour a year ago.
Well, not yet.

So, back to the ONW... it is a litany of woes. I used to have a quiet life, but
now I am privy to every disaster (an elderly woman held up at knife point in
her bed only yesterday in the block opposite the swimming pool, a young woman
being held up at knife point outside her house at 5pm today in Bellevliet -
still light, you understand - to mention only 2 recent incidents) that happen
in the streets around me on a daily basis. We ONW members are talking about
funding some kind of 'response' team walking our streets every day and night.
Neither the City nor the "improvement district", to which I contribute (without
choice, you understand) R106.16 a month, are managing the situation.

Then there's my bin. I put it out every Monday. My street (Duke) is narrow, so
the rubbish men drag the bins to either end of the street, sometimes emptying
the one into the other so as to drag fewer bins. It's random, but from time to
time my bin is ignored, or passed over by mistake, or...
I receive my rates bill with monotonous regularity. I'd really like my rubbish
to be removed at the same pace... It takes precious time and humour out of my
day to call the City to say 'I'm not feeling the love... the love I pay for.. "

I recycle, the amount I put out of a week is small, but I want it taken away -
when I put it out. I call the City... they'll send out a truck to fetch my
rubbish. Really?! One whole truck to fetch just my overlooked rubbish? How
ridiculous! It's that, or I must contact the waste disposal unit myself to ask
them to remember my bin...I pay a bill to the City, why should I now have to
spend my time and the cost of another call (no doubt as lengthy as the call to
the City as I listen to 'your call is important to us, we are experiencing high
volumes of calls..' for 15 minutes...).
I recycle.. I pay for my paper and some plastic to fetched from my doorstep to
be recycled weekly, and other plastic goes for the eco-brick project run by
Montebello, so I have little in my bin. Can I negotiate and pay for a
bi-monthly removal? Once a month, perhaps? No. All or nothing! That being so,
I'd like my bin to be emptied... every week.

Surely you have an office of sorts in this Ward. Where is it? When are you
here? Do you hold clinics for your constituents? When are those times? I would
like to be sent the schedule of when you are in the neighbourhood.

Faithfully,
Nodi Murphy
15 Duke Street
Observatory 7925.

OPS [Obsid Public Safety] - 24/7 control room

TEL: 021-447-1066 or 072-063-1653

EMERGENCIES: 10111

---
Observatory Neighbourhood Watch" group.
obsnw+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com<mailto:obsnw+unsubscr...@googlegroups.com>.
Disclaimer: This e-mail (including attachments) is subject to the disclaimer
published at: http://www.capetown.gov.za/en/Pages/disclaimer.aspx. Please read
the disclaimer before opening any attachment or taking any other action in
terms of this e-mail. If you cannot access the disclaimer, kindly send an email
to disclai...@capetown.gov.za and a copy will be provided to you. By replying
to this e-mail or opening any attachment you agree to be bound by the
provisions of the disclaimer.