Dear Fellow Observants,

I am writing this in response to numerous concerned posts regarding our
safety and security in Observatory.

I have recently taken over as Deputy Chair of ONW and I am now acting as
Chair while Chris Wiehe is overseas for a few months.

Since ONW was reinstated earlier this year, we have seen especially
encouraging results with the crime situation on Lower Main Road but also
throughout Observatory. Last week at our monthly meeting, our SAPS Sector
Manager reported that in recent months there had been an overall decrease
in reported crime of between 20 to 30%  and thanked us for our efforts. He
also noted that its is very helpful for us to feed SAPS information as we
have been doing. Granted, some types of crime (like armed robbery) have
been on the increase of late, but in general in think we are starting to
see the benefits of having an active neighborhood watch and a proactive
police force working together again.

OBSID has a new incoming COO, Hudson McComb, and a new Public Safety
Manager, Hannes Bronkhorst. Both of these gentlemen are open to new ideas
and are committed to improving our safety and security. There are already
some changes a foot:
-  The OPS control center which was previously stationed in Mowbray and
shared with the Groote Schuur Improvement District is to be moving to
Station Road and will now be dedicated to serving Observatory only.
-  OBSID is currently evaluating its existing security contract which is
coming up for renewal. This includes the patrollers, horse boxes and camera
systems with a view to improving the service and getting us more value for
money.

We have had some discussions with OBSID around the security contract issue.
It was agreed that we would engage our membership to see if there is
expertise available within the community to assist in the evaluation
process, identify possible improvements and determine best combination of
solutions to implement. We will meet with OBSID within the coming weeks to
review the existing systems/contracts and  to brainstorm new ideas. *This
is the opportunity for us to have a say and I would like to call for your
assistance with this:*

1. If there is anyone with expertise in camera systems, neighborhood
security, security contracts etc that is able to volunteer their time to
this process, please email me a short note on how you think you can assist.
2. If you have ideas that you feel strongly for or against, please email me
your thoughts so we can raise your point for consideration.

I realise that this process is not the immediate action we are all looking
for, but I think its an important process to go through if we are to make
the right decisions. In the meantime, I can only appeal to you to get
involved in any way you can towards helping SAPS and OBSID to help us:
-  There are ONW meetings each month and all are welcome.
- Membership is free and patrolling is purely voluntary.
- Even if you can't patrol, just by being vigilant and reporting crimes
and/or suspicious behavior through the correct channels has a huge impact.
- There are also a range of other ways you can help aside from patrolling:
Marketing, PR, Finance, Recruiting etc

Thanks and regards,

Steve

On Mon, Jun 22, 2015 at 8:37 AM, Bruno Migliorini <
migliorini.br...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> Thanks for your valuable input. Here's what I get from the discussions:
> - Livelier neighbourhood is great: maybe we can try to creatively think,
> based on examples from others, about how to get more people in the streets.
> In the meantime, I find patrolling a good idea. However, I work and travel
> most of the time and there's only so much time in a day that we can cover
> with travelling. Already, our whatsapp group is very lively.
>
> - OBSID does a good job considering the mean they receive from our
> neighbourhoods (calculated based on house values).
>
> Now... what if we increased their means? I mean horse boxes are nice, they
> provide visibility and they work well... By how much would we have to
> increase the rates to cover the whole of obs? Basically let OBSID provide
> the prevention/visibility and interact with SAPS for the reaction.
>

> Le dimanche 21 juin 2015 21:33:10 UTC+2, Stefan a écrit :
>>
>>  Hello Melanie ,
>>
>> it would be interesting how much it would have to increase it in order to
>> make OBSID more effective ... perhaps that`s what`s necessary ?
>> If I think about how much ADT costs per month without being effective
>> like OBSID ...
>>
>> Stefan
>>

>> On 6/21/15 6:22 PM, Rosemary Robins wrote:
>>
>> OBSID has always had a clean audit.  We are 2 people in our house - costs
>> us approx. R1.60 per day each for all the benefits.  Our refuse (once a
>> week) costs nearly the same amount.  I appreciate there are frustrations
>> with OBSID but please be realistic.
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 21, 2015 at 1:08 PM, bluebellsandroses <bluebell...@gmail.com
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>  I agree totally with Bruno. Also, I don't understand why the current
>>> levy is apparently not effective to give us more horse carts. What is
>>> happening with the current money?! Every single household in ons pays via
>>> rates. So how can there not be enough money?
>>> Melanie
>>>

>>>  Sent from Samsung Mobile

Steve Killick
Cell 084 447 5544