Denis Kenzior wrote:
Hi Ryan,

Hello,

We need a ppp interface for our modem. I was told on the chat forum that
a tap/tun device was to be used. Has anyone else started with this or
thought how to implement this?

We're currently working on a userspace ppp implementation that will integrate with GAtChat. The goal here is to make it integrate well with the current multiplexed channel capability in GAtMux/GatChat and not need to involve an external daemon.

Wow. So ofono will not use the kernel space ppp and implement the ppp stack in userspace?

After reading briefly the code from pppd, the implementation, for a
first draft, is pretty straight forward (w/o encryption, etc. in
userspace). "Just" dial the apn, and hand over the tty fd to ppp via ioctl.

Unfortunately it is not that simple. pppd requires a proper kernel file descriptor to hand off to the kernel ppp line discipline. In our userspace implementation that is not the case. 1 kernel file descriptor is shared by potentially many GAtChat channels using a multiplexing protocol. Hence why we can't reuse the kernel implementation.

Yea. That's right.

Regards,
-Denis