Quoting Rémi Denis-Courmont <r...@remlab.net>:

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 19:39:40 +0000 (GMT), Chris Pitchford
<of...@intrepid.cx> wrote:
I'm not sure if the requirements of ppp in the kernel have chagned, but
couldn't something like this be repeated in this situation.. allowing
pppd
to speak to a local socket/fifo/pair of pipes that is terminated in user
space?

In my understanding, PPP is a line discipline, meaning it can only run on a
TTY character device device, not just any character device, and definitely
not any random file descriptor.

turns out that the software I mentioned (virtmodem from 1995) does indeed use a pty pair. Although I've not had time during the week to get it running again, I suspect it would probably work on a recent kernel/pppd.

Is the line discipline so much of an issue when using ppp connected to a fake tty? could that not be handed on the proxy side inside ofono?