Hi Denis,
The current semantics are that the DBusMessage returns only when the SMS has been successfully sent to the network, or oFono determined that it cannot send it. So you can assume that SMS is pending as soon as dbus_message_send is performed by your client. And that SMS has been sent/failed as soon as the message call returns.
This means I will have to use a synchronous call and wait for the response? I suppose an error response will mean a send failure, is it correct?
2) handling incoming messages when application is (re)starting/crashed:
is there a way to retrieve a message if it comes in during a phase where
the application is not running or it can't receive the IncomingMessage
signal? Does oFono logs or stores the messages somewhere?

This is what the history plugin is for. History is notified when an SMS comes in and can persist this information however it wishes. The plugin can even define its own D-Bus interface for notifying external clients if needed.
OK, as per our IRC conversation I'm interested in writing an SQLite history plug-in to store calls and SMSes infos, so I'll try to design a simple DB and post it here in a few days. Would it be a problem to have libsqlite as dependency of oFono? Is there a way to let it out of the project or however do you consider it a useful dependency for other (future) purposes?
Thank you very much in advance, best regards,
Dario.