Hi Sjur,

> > +   For combined IPv4v6 context (3GPP rel 8) the
> > +   same network interface may be used for both
> > +   IPv4 and IPv6. IPv4 and IPv6 may also be
> > +   offered via separate network interfaces.
> > +
>
> I think it would be nice if we could keep only one interface here.
> It's a bit messy that the difference between R7 and R8
> networks will be visible to the users like this.

By users I assume you mean connman?

> So when in a R7 network the uplink traffic should be filtered into the
> right ipv4 and ipv6 pdp-connection automagically.
> I know STE will support this in the modem firmware.

It's cool that STE firmware can do that. However, for modems that don't (most
of them), I frankly don't see any particular reason to try to bond the bearers
within the kernel. That would just bring more complexity to the kernel drivers
without providing any real benefit. The Linux networking stack will handle
separate interfaces just fine. The IPv4 default route can point to one
interface and IPv6 routes can point to another and everything will just work.

Naturally connman will need to understand about the separate interfaces in
order to configure them properly but that is a minor pain compared to doing
bonding separately in each modem interface driver within the kernel.

Br,

        MikaL