On Friday 28 January 2011 14:49:16 ext Sjur Brændeland, you wrote:
> I think it would be nice if we could keep only one interface here.
> It's a bit messy that the difference between R7 and R8
> networks will be visible to the users like this.
>
> So when in a R7 network the uplink traffic should be filtered into the
> right ipv4 and ipv6 pdp-connection automagically.
> I know STE will support this in the modem firmware.
>
> If firmware doesn't support this perhaps this could also be handled
> in the kernel drivers. This should be doable for phonet (and Caif),

Not really no. The API to create a Phonet gprs interface is tightly coupled
with the underlying pipe. There are no easy ways to patch the driver to use
two pipes, nor the corresponding userspace code.

It would actually be much easier to write a bonding driver to rule both IPv4
and IPv6 instances of the existing driver. It would also be more generic, not
Phonet/CAIF/PPP-specific, although it would probably not work for fake Ethernet
devices.

However it is questionable why we would optimize this when the only customer
is ConnMan, and the only use case is 3GPP Rel7. Applications don't need to
care whether IPv4 and IPv6 are through a single or two separate interfaces.
They just use the socket API.

--
Rémi Denis-Courmont
Nokia Devices R&D, Maemo Software, Helsinki