Hi Marcel,

Thanks for the comments.

> > Normally, IPv6 addresses and routes are autoconfigured
> using IPv6 stateless address autoconfiguration followed
> optionally by DHCPv6 to get additional settings. The kernel
> actually starts stateless address autoconfiguration
> immediately when the interface is configured up (which oFono
> does), assuming the interface already has a link-local IPv6
> address (which all Ethernet interface do have, as it is
> calculated from the MAC address and added automatically).
> >
> > Point-to-point interfaces, on the other, require the
> link-local address to be added manually to the interface
> before the autoconfiguration can happen. oFono should
> probably add the address to be consistent with Ethernet interfaces.
>
> I am not sure we really wanna be consistent with how Ethernet works
> since we are not actually Ethernet.
>
> So I can see benefits for having ConnMan control the
> link-local in case
> of point-to-point, but then I also do see the benefit oFono doing it.
>
> We might have to spin of ideas and see what is the most
> logical one and
> what works best. Especially also in the context of LTE support in the
> future.

I agree. The pragmatic way would be to just choose one option now and see how
that works for us. We can revisit the issue later when we understand the
requirements better.

> > The upshot would be that IPv6 could be autoconfigured
> immediately without connman's intervention. IPv6 does not
> have private address spaces, so in theory connman does not
> really have to care about IPv6 addresses and routes. However,
> the optional DHCPv6 step would probably be controlled by
> connman. Configuration of IPv6 tethering would be another
> optional followup step controlled by connman.
>
> Yes, DHCPv6 step needs to be done by ConnMan. We do not have DHCPv6
> support right now. We only plan to use it for extra settings like
> proxies, timeservers etc.
>
> > On the other hand, if we want connman to be fully in
> charge, we could change oFono to always leave the network
> interface down and let connman do everything. Marcels input
> on this would be welcome as well.
>
> This is something we need to figure out. And of course this
> all needs to
> be aligned with IPv4 and IPv6. Right now we are treating this
> similar to
> how wpa_supplicant for WiFi does this.
>
> So going back to potential LTE and IMS support; if that runs IPv6 then
> it might make sense to just autoconfigure it without ConnMan
> interaction.

Ok. If you agree, I'll add link-local address configuration to my patches for
all IPv6 contexts for the time being. Autonomous autoconfiguration is in
accordance with IPv6 philosophy anyway. Might as well see how far it takes us.
We can always move to a connman controlled approach later if that turns out to
be necessary.

Regards,

        MikaL