On 12/05/18 08:37, Harald Welte wrote:

As there are no modems that reliably can deliver the actual audio data via USB
(aside some non-supported outdated experimental firmwares), we're only testing
the signaling plane so far.

Hi Harald,

I'm alarmed to see this statement. Can I ask what you mean here when you say "no modems"? :-) Do you mean on the market in general?

I've been using the SIMCom SIM7100E which is specified as supporting audio data over a USB serial connection. Unfortunately I've had a lot of trouble getting it to work but I've been collaborating with Stanislav Sinyagin (CC'd) who has a SIM7100E with an earlier firmware and who can reliably get audio by dd'ing /dev/ttyUSBX. I'm waiting on our supplier to get the same firmware version.

There are earlier SIMCom modems with application notes describing how to get audio over USB too, for example the SIM5360.

Regards,

Bob