Hi Sergei,

    The question is really whether it is the network or the modem at fault here.
    Does AUTH_METHOD_NONE work on other networks with this hardware?

The HW shows the same result in the network of a different provider which also has empty user/pass APN settings. I see that there are many similar providers worldwide. Even in the US. T-Mobile for instance https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mobile-broadband-provider-info/-/blob/main/serviceproviders.xml#L13394 <https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mobile-broadband-provider-info/-/blob/main/serviceproviders.xml#L13394> .

So from what I recall, we use CHAP by default if a username/password is provided and NONE otherwise. This was added in commit:
a5bdf48ca7be70a9b33a47dae0ea03bf842efdd2

Also the LTE and GPRS contexts have slightly different behaviors. The provisioning plugins (mbpi, file-provision) is only performed for GPRS. LTE is provisioned separately.

Are you proposing that we revert the above commit? Would that be enough or do we need other changes?

Since the DTD for mbpi (https://gitlab.gnome.org/GNOME/mobile-broadband-provider-info/-/blob/main/serviceproviders.2.dtd) doesn't even list none as a valid authentication type, I would tend to think that the commit in question wasn't correct.

Regards,
-Denis