> Hypothetical: Lime-Green Ronin publishes Mercenaries of Seaport as
> 100 percent open text. The company intended to do this, but the only
> written documentation of this intent is the book itself.

I think they're probably unlikely to be able to make a compelling case
that the material was released in an unauthorized fashion - although it
would be unlikely, in today's environment, for a product to be released
sans advertising, and "100% Open Game Content" has become a popular
advertising angle for small publishers making it very, very hard to
claim an error post-publication anyway.

To be crystal clear:  This is not an analogy to the situation WotC finds
themselves in at present.

Factors bearing on the WotC situation:

1)  Public comments >specifically< about the material that was
mistakenly released as OGC predating the release of that material
indicating that they did not intend to make that material OGC.

2)  The material in question has been obviously removed from thousands
of passages of text where it otherwise appears in the primary source
material, clearly indicating intent on the part of WotC to remove that
content universally.

3)  WotC is not dealing with a significant amount of content, not even
so much as a paragraph of material - in fact, it is dealing with >two
words<.

4)  Those two words have been registered as a trademark and vigorously
defended by WotC and its predecessors for nearly 25 years as the
exclusive property of the owner of D&D, and nothing in WotC's public or
private correspondance or commentary indicates any interest whatsoever
in changing that stance.

This is, in fact, a very unusual situation, and not one that I suspect
will be oft repeated due to the unique nature of the prior commentary
and long history of defense of exclusivity of the content in question.

Ryan