>At 7:36 -0500 7/22/03, Eric Baierl wrote:

>>>But you're right, taken at face value, you can't so much as refer
>>>to "roll Strength + d20" without infringing.
>>>--
>>>woodelf <*>
>>
>>But you could refer to "roll Strength + 1d20" which is what most
>>non-d20 companies do anyway (or 1D20)
>>

>So when they claim "Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia" as PI, you can
>still use "Really Peaceable Kingdoms of Arcadia" ok?

The difference between d20 and 1d20 is numeric character. The difference in your example is a word added to a phrase. Say for example I say "the" is PI, and its all legit for this purpose. You couldn't use "the" in any way, but you could use "them", "there", "they" etc.

The reason they probably added d20 to PI is so that companies aren't claiming that their games are compatable with d20, d20-based, or any other phrases like that, without having to also adhere to the d20 logo liscense. I'd be suprised if they told someone that they couldn't say a weapon does 1d20 damage.

And anyway, games have long used the number d number to tell readers how many dice, and how many sides on those dice to use. Saying roll Strength + d20 doesn't say how many d20's to roll.

baierl