In a message dated 9/15/2004 9:28:29 PM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

Even some of the trademarks that are claimed for fantasy games seem a bit too generic to
me. The term "dungeon master" for example is just two normal words stuck together

Most trademarks are one or two normal words stuck together, David.  Fact of life and of law.

Dungeon Master is a very distinctive name that was coined in TSR products and has been used as a character in a TSR animated series.  Given that it's associated with the game Dungeons & Dragons, and that it is designed to evoke an image of the guy in charge of a Dungeons & Dragons game, I think that it's more than distinctive enough to serve as a trademark within the gaming industry.

If somebody tried to trademark referee or game master I think that would be a little less likely to be distinctive enough in the gaming context to qualify as a trademark given the widespread use of those terms in multiple games and in multiple contexts.

Lee