All my comments assume no license between the trademark holder and the
publisher in question.

My opinions may differ from the specific copyright holders in question,
especially WotC.

The use of trademarks in general is not something I'm addressing here,
as these questions basically involve the OGL, which is a copyright
license.  The use of 3rd party trademarks, except as circumscribed by
the OGL is something you should probably talk to a lawyer about in
detail before proceeding.

On Fri, 2004-09-24 at 15:02 -0400, Tavis Allison wrote:

> However, the Masters and Minions books are not covered by the d20STL,
> only by the Open Game License, of which the relevant part seems to be
> section 7: "You agree not to indicate compatibility or co-adaptability
> with any Trademark or Registered Trademark in conjunction with a work
> containing Open Game Content except as expressly licensed in another,
> independent Agreement with the owner of such Trademark or Registered
> Trademark".

This clause says that you cannot make the statement "...this material is
compatible with..." or "...this material could be used with..." or
similar statements anywhere.  You have agreed not to indicate
adaptability or compatibility period, not just within the work with the
licensed content.

If you violate the terms of Section 7 regardless of where you do so, you
could be subjected to the process outlined in Section 13.

>         "Although written for Dungeons & Dragons 3.0/3.5, A Swarm of
>         Stirges draws heavy inspiration from 1st Edition D&D.

This would not be permissible.  "Written for" implies compatibility &
adaptability.

You could say something like "A Swarm of Stirges is similar in tone to
many classic 1s Edition Advanced Dungeons & Dragons modules."

The rest of the quote is probably ok.

>         "An interesting product that takes a D&D staple and amps it
>         up!"  - from a customer review of Masters and Minions Horde
>         Book 2: Maze of the Minotaur at RPGNow by Orval McCurdy

This is probably OK.

>         "This book is one of the few D20 books I have actually
>         enjoyed. I have been playing D&D for over 10 years now and
>         this is the first book in a long time to scare me as a
>         player." - from a customer review of Masters and Minions Horde
>         Book 2: Maze of the Minotaur at RPGNow by Thomas Taylor

This is probably OK (but only because "D20" is probably not a
trademark).

Ryan