On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 21:47:24 EST, [EMAIL PROTECTED] <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>  If one puts aside (intent and industry practice -- I know, that's a big
> stretch for me), and presume that anyone and everyone who wants to say the
> phrase "This is Product Identity" is a third party beneficiary, then the
> person doesn't have to be listed in your Section 15 and indeed doesn't to
> even be a direct party to the OGL to declare something as PI and bind you to
> not using it.

Only if they have legal ownership over it.

Which means that if, say, Abby Andrews creates "Arrows and Anvils" not
using the OGL, and "Chris Copyier" releases an all but exact copy
called "Carrows and Canvils" under the OGL, and then "Bruce Borrower"
makes "Bad Targets", an adventure for "Carrows and Canvils", Abby
Andrews can inform Bruce directly, without going to Chris first, that
"Bad Targets" is infringing on "Arrows and Anvils".

OTOH, if there's nothing unique about Abby's game to merit legal
protection if the OGL isn't invovled at all, then Abby can't do
anything unless you use her trademarks.  Which we're all explicity
enjoined from using.  So if Doug creates "Drunken Dwarfs" and happens
to use Arrows & Anvils as an inspiration but commits no copyright
infringement, he can polietly tell Abby that he committed no
infringement against her, but that he would love to remove the
reference to her trademark in his work's non-OGC section if he wanted
to.

DM