Prevailing wisdom is that there are three types of content in a work covered
by the OGL. Material must be identified as OGC to be "open" (section 8) so
there exists the possibility that there is content that is not identified as
OGC. This second type is just normal copyrighted material that is not
licensed. The third type is Product Identity which specifically means
material that is included in OGC but is meant to be explicitly excluded from
the terms of the license for open material. If material is ommitted from OGC
(meaning it doesn't appear in a section of OGC material), it can't be PI.
That material would be the second type of normal, non-open content.