On 20 Jul 2005, at 08:16, Ryan S. Dancey wrote:
My other complaint is that none of the CC license varients allow an easy mixture of open and closed content within a readable scope of work. They all depend on chapters, segments or appendices to segregate open and non-open content. Obviously, that would not have worked for gaming. I also think the CC project has the same failings as many "open" licensing projects, (and again an echo of Dvorak) - way too much effort spent differentiating between "commercial" and "noncommercial" use. On this issue, I'm with Stallman. If "Freedom"(*) is your objective, then make your stuff Free. Don't screw around with half measures.

I so agree.

I looked at using one of the CC licenses for publishing a download album, and came to the conclusion that they're overly complex in their structure and for practical purposes not worth the pixels they're rendered on. I think the underlying desire to make potentially copyrighted material available to others for reuse in derivative or related works is a good one, but the focus on whether that use is commercial or not is ridiculous. Sure if someone takes your work verbatim and makes a fortune reselling it you have a justifiable right to be angry and sue, which under current copyright laws in Europe and the US you could do quite successfully. But that's the point, current copyright laws already protect your works from unauthorised commercial exploitation.

I personally believe the OGL to be a far fairer licensing model because it allows an author to protect the aspect of their work that genuinely is valuable, the product identity. Whenever any of us create something what makes it special and interesting is that small percentage that is genuinely personal to us, the element of invention. This is an area that the CC licenses poorly capture, but that OGL is very well tailored for.

It took me ages to get comfy with the OGL, because part of my mind kept looking for the hidden sting. At first glance it looks like a slick marketing idea, and in a way it is because the more OGL-based systems on the shelves, the more useful cross-over material there is to feed the voracious appetite of gamers and that must feed back into sales of D20 products as well. But it also happens to be an incredibly clear mechanism for differentiating between product identity and the superstructure on which that identity depends if its to be useful. Given the attraction of gaming for rules lawyers, perhaps its no wonder that the OGL is so good at what it does: who among us hasn't had their fair share of arguments over the minutiae of rule interpretation?

The success of the OGL proves that there is space for licenses of similar intent to the CC licenses, in that many of us who produce creative works are happy to have people use elements of them - whether for commercial or non-commercial purposes - without the fear of litigation. In fact there are many aspects of any published work that in and of themselves are so derivative of our respective cultures that they shouldn't even be copyrighted at all, and whilst framing fair laws to represent this fact may be impossible the existence of appropriate licenses that can be used by those who recognise this element of their own works must surely be beneficial to society as a whole. For anyone who hasn't read Richard Stallman's definitive essay on the philosophy behind the free software movement (which is in many ways analogous to OGL) take a look at:

    http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/shouldbefree.html

For many years I was opposed to the GNU licenses on the grounds that works can be put in the public domain, but mulling on the points that Stallman makes I've come to be a slightly-reluctant supporter of the system. In an ideal world we could expect people to play nicely where these issues are concerned, but it's not a nice world and there are people out there for whom money alone is the point of all creative activity.

Eleanor