Ryan S. Dancey wrote:

I wish the CC license system was not designed around such a complex licensing strategy. That's an echo of part of what Dvorak is trying (albeit badly) to say in his article. Its so confusing that a pretty intelligent guy, who has been in the IP wars as long as I've been an adult, had unanswered questions about it

One of the reasons I did not believe it would be useful for Open Gaming is that the license structure is so complex that I feared many people who might otherwise want to try Open Gaming publishing would be unable to do so due to license complexities. Worse, the existance of the varient CC licensing structure meant that nobody could be told simply "it's a Creative Commons license" - because that doesn't mean anything specific. CC doesn't grant any specific rights, or impose specific limitations. Someone who thought they understood a CC license from some other project might make very big mistakes if a different set of CC terms was used for the System Reference Document.

And this is worse than the fact that you can't say "this is D20 System" because it doesn't mean anything specific? Even "this uses the D20STL" isn't a terribly useful statement, if you're curious about the content, rather than the legal status.

And, while picking a license may be complex, at least the licenses are readable and clear. I don't see anything like the still-unresolved ambiguity over exactly who has authority to declare IP, what can be declared IP, and what the scope of said declarations is.

Actually, i'll even take a stronger stance. The only way to figure out what the WotC OGL means is to read it (complete with lots of ambiguous clauses due to grammar errors and typos), or spend a bunch of time on this list. I've never even read the fine print on most of the CC licenses--i read one of them in toto the first time i discovered CC--because they have handy summaries of what they do. The WotC OGL doesn't actually say that there can be content in my work that is neither OGC nor PI--i have to figure that out somehow. If i want to use a CC license, the very name of the license tells me almost everything i need to know about it, and picking a license is a clearly-explained series of mostly-binary choices: i do/don't want people to be able to make commercial works with my license; i do/don't want derivative works to be required to use the same license; etc.

I really don't see why it's all that likely that someone might think the rules regarding a book that says "This work released under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike license" are exactly the same as those governing a book that says "This work released under the Creative Commons Attribution-NoDerivs license". If that scares them away, i can't believe they'd even consider wading through the terms and implementation of the WotC OGL. For the WotC OGL to be merely no more complicated to implement than the CC licenses, it would need a plaintext summary, something along the lines of "To use this license, designate what material you want others to be able to use as OGC, designate the material that you want to make sure no one uses as PI, and anything left is still protected by copyright."

Oh, and any plaintext interpretation of the license should be clearer than the WotC FAQ, or the license itself should be cleaned up:

*Q: If something is clearly identified as both Open Game Content and Product Identity in the same work, what is it?*