On Sat, 3 Sep 2005, Tim Dugger wrote:

> > OGC = COVERED WORK - PI
> > OR
> > COVERED WORK = OGC + PI
>
> Where I was saying
>
> Covered Work = OGC + PI + whatever is left over and not covered
> by the previous two terms (this would be covered by standard
> copyright law).
>
> Thus if a person used material from the public domain, you could
> not, according to the OGL declare that public domain material as
> OGC, nor as PI. To me, this says that his interpretation that
> everything (except what is declared PI) is OGC is incorrect.

The problem with adding the "plus leftover standard copyright law
stuff" as part of the covered work, is that those things that are part
of the covered work are not covered under standard copyright
law. For instance, you are allowed to get away with some things in
copyright law (mentioning other people's trademarks, or quoting short
passages under fair use rules) that you aren't allowed to do within
a covered work under the OGL.

Spike Y Jones