On 4 Sep 2005 at 16:05, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> If this is the case, then there's no such thing as the "third type of
> content" and a whole bunch of stuff has been published under the OGL
> using an incorrect interpretation of the license. I wonder if the fact
> that WotC hasn't taken any steps in the past five years to correct
> this misinterpretation would work against the company if it tried to
> start enforcing this interpretation now.

I view it as squares and rectangles. All squares are rectangles, but
not all rectangles are square.

You have a "work", as defined by Ryan to be an entire product from
cover to cover. In this "work" you are required to declare what is
OGC, and to declare what is PI. However, there is nothing in the
license that says "the entire work IS OGC unless it is declared PI".

My interpretation is that the work contains OGC, PI, and anything
else not declared by the first two. That "anything else" is still bound
by the OGL, especially where the OGL superceeds copyright law.
That "anything else" can include such things as public domain
material (such as the names of the Norse Gods).

If the entire work were considered to be OGC, except for what was
declared PI, then there would be absolutely no reason to declare
what is OGC, as it would be implicit that if it is not declared as PI it
would be OGC. However, this interpretation fails because it is
possible to incude public domain material (such as the names of
Norse gods) in a work. Since the names are public domain, they
cannot be declared OGC nor PI because the contributor does not
own the rights to declare it as one or the other, and if a work
contains only 2 types of content (OGC & PI), then it would be
impossible to use any public domain material within a covered work.

Thus, any work which included such would be in violation of the
OGL

Note: Yes, I know that the specific
implementation/description/representation of a Norse god would
belong to the person who wrote/published it, but the name itself
could not be OGC nor PI as it rests in the public domain.

TANSTAAFL
Rasyr (Tim Dugger)
 System Editor
 Iron Crown Enterprises - http://www.ironcrown.com