From: "Tim Dugger"
On 12 Aug 2005 at 10:09, Spike Y Jones wrote:

> Slaine, Warp Spasm, Tir Nan Og, Fomorian, Red Branch, Fir Bolg,
> Enech*, Cromlech.

Here is an idea - for these terms, since they are public domain,
include a statement of such.

Example:
Public Domain terms: From Celtic Mythology, the following terms
were derived, <list terms here>

This way you are officially declaring the source of your terms, which
also indicates that you are NOT using anybody else's PI.

I would also suggest including a bibliography of the books you used,
but the OGL does not allow for that.

As a mythology dictionary doesn't contain OGC or a copy of the OGL and the author isn't a "contributor" I don't think the OGL prevents you from mentioning it in a bibliography. You would only be prevented from listing OGC sources (unless you had permission).

The original "Slaine" is public domain and not elegable as Product Identity because it doesn't comply with section 5 (i.e. it was developed over hundreds of years by the Celtic community* and is not "original material").

However, I would think that the 2000 AD version of "Slaine" is in some way different to the one from mythology. If 2000 AD give Slaine distinctive clothing and equipment and Mongoose have used all of that equipment in their version, I suppose that they could argue that those "enhancements" to public domain material are "original material" and what they are claiming as Product Identity. (i.e. You can use Slaine, but if you depict him as wearing a torc and your mytholgical sources do not back this up, 2000 AD's lawyers can try to use pictures from the comic to get you to reprint your product without mention of the torc.) Personally, if I was on a jury I'd laugh Mongoose and 2000 AD out of court if they tried to say they "owned" enhancements to "Slaine", but what a *real* court would do is anybodies guess. (Given that Stelios from easyJet is using the British courts to assert ownership of the word "easy" I suspect that a case about ownership of "Slaine" *might* go either way. Why risk it if there are ways to work around it?)

* = While I'm on, I'd like to thank the Celtic community for anticipating the advent of Open Game Content and developing such a good mythology. Not bad work for a bunch of dead wode-wearing guys. ;)

David "Big Mac" Shepheard
Webmaster
Virtual Eclipse Science Fiction Role Playing Club
http://virtualeclipse.aboho.com/