Ian Sturrock <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

<fan moment>
Hello, Ian. Great job with the game. Love it!
</fan moment>

Yeah, my reading of the license allows a company to do what Mongoose (or Rebellion, the Slaine IP owners) seem to have done here -- to prevent other companies from using a load of essentially public domain terms in d20
products by declaring the names Product Identity (whether or not one uses
the game mechanics from the game system).

I know some have read the license that way, but that doesn't make any sense. If that was the case, I could publish an OGL product with every word in the Oxford English Dictionary and then claim them all as PI, thus negating their use in further OGl products without my permission, which is, obviously, ridiculous.

My reading of PI has always been that you can protect terms that are unique to the product in question, but public domain terms are, essentially, immune to the OGL because even if someone claimed them as PI, one can always go back to the public domain source.

Daniel M. Perez
Highmoon Media Productions
www.HighmoonMedia.com