On Mon, 2011-05-30 at 08:24 +0400, Garrett D'Amore wrote:
> Switching to another less popular doc format doesn't seem like a great idea.
> I don't work with the documentation frequently, but I'd ask people that do.
>
> One thing is that some of these formats are like fads... they come and go.  I
> remember not long ago when SGML was all the rage. :-)  From my perspective it
> would be good to have a format that has good tools available (multiple
> implementations, at least some of which are portable to other platforms),
> displays nicely, and provides some basic structure capabitilities to assist
> in parsing for content or format conversion (e.g. to HTML).
>
> If you make me install a bunch of new tools, or learn a format that nobody
> else uses, I probably will be less inclined to write documentation.  (That
> said, I've not written much except a few man pages, and the format of *those*
> is relatively constrained by the need to be able to display them with the man
> command. :-)
>
>   -- Garrett D'Amore

I would think Docbook would be the way to go.  Yeah, it's going to
require some specific libraries and tools but it's transformable to many
different formats.  I haven't dealt with it for a while now but easily
to morph to man, text, html, and pdf, which I think pretty much covers
all reasonable bases.

XML situps are a pain after the first few thousand.  Last I looked most
good XML editors out there were proprietary. All fine and dandy if
you're a commercial corp with a documentation staff but such would seem
to raise the bar w/o much of any real gain for a small FOSS project.

Else maybe the old standard Latex, wh/facilitates same, and although out
of vogue at present, I don't think it's not going to disappear anytime
soon.  Advantage here might be that lots of science and math types will
already be somewhat familiar w/it from thesis writing and such, but I'd
also think this would not encompass a significant number of OS/IllumOS
contributors.

I've never heard of Sphinx.

My $0.02, fwiw.