On Sun, 2011-06-05 at 16:19 +0100, Bayard Bell wrote:
> On 5 Jun 2011, at 15:05, Ken Gunderson wrote:
>
> Hello, Ken,
>
> > I'll let Tobias speak for himself but my read was that he has a
> > preference for Sphinx but willing to use other tools.
>
> That was also my inference, provided we haven't hit a timeout for him to
> complete the project he needs to do for his seminar.
>
> > I've never used
> > Sphinx but took a quick look at links that Tobias posted a while back
> > and it seemed like it could serve our needs pretty well.
>
> Nothing against Sphinx, but my immediate observation is that we're not
> starting documentation from scratch. As of yet, Sphinx doesn't support
> interchange from DocBook (there's a Google Code project for converting a
> subset of DocBook that someone found useful), which is the source format for
> the current documentation. That gives me pause. It's by no means
> insurmountable, but I'd like to hear why we'd want to jump through those
> hoops, with some reference to how this has worked elsewhere. I've taken a
> look at a sample from the rather extensive list of projects using Sphinx, and
> what I don't see so much of is large, non-Python projects like ours using it,
> and that also gives me pause, which is why I've tried to do some research and
> think that more research still needs to be done.

I'm less concerned with transforming from docbook to sphinx than the
other direction: spninx to docbook, or sphinx to Latex, HTML, or
whatever.  If Tobias wants to use Sphinx AND we can transform his Sphinx
output to Docbook (perhaps via Latex intermediary)... I say, turn him
loose on it lest the clock run out on his project due date.

> > You'd
> > mentioned that your girl friend might be willing to contribute and I'd
> > subsequently suggested she take Sphinx for a test drive?  I'd be curious
> > whether she has or not, and if so, what were her impressions?
>
> She's in the course of moving at the moment. Once she's settled (another week
> or so), there'll be time for a test drive.
>
> > Iirc, Sphinx supported export to a variety of formats.  Since
> > documentation is something developers are historically far less keen on
> > than writing code and we've got someone interested stepping up and
> > contributing in this much neglected capacity, barring any technical
> > reasons to the contrary, my vote would be to give Tobias the thumbs up.
>
> As I've explained previously, I really don't think the problem we're trying
> to solve looks like that. I could just as easily say: well, there's a tool
> already out there from ASF that converts existing DocBook content to
> Confluence wiki (which we probably need to do in some way so that what
> documentation we have is easily accessible online), there's a Confluence
> plugin we can get for free that can export that back to DocBook and from
> there to HTML, PDF, and man, problem solved. I'm not prepared to say that
> that's the answer any more than is Sphinx, just that evaluation criteria are
> different from what you suggest and the answers thus not as obvious as you
> take them to be. In any case, these are decisions that are made at
> #oi-meeting.
>
> I think we need tools that then turn into getting people involved in
> documentation, this is an opportunity where we need to understand how we
> capitalise on that for further opportunity. You've expressed some interest in
> contributing to documentation: what would get you to become involved in this
> capacity?

For me the biggest barrier would be knowing what I'm talking about when
it comes to OI as my Solaris experience is minimal.  Hence, I might be
more effective helping out on e.g. editing than actual documentation
creation.  At least initially.  Indeed, part of my motivation for such
is to learn more about said platform.

I don't know Latex, but have an interest in it.  I've "played" with
docbook a bit a few years back but far from conversant.  I would be fine
with learning more about either.

I need to go back and review the email Alan sent about this. While I
think it's past time for OI to make a break from Oracle/Solaris, I also
think we should maintain ability to leverage existing verbiage, so we
should use compatible tools.

--
Ken Gunderson <kgund...@teamcool.net>