> OpenIndiana aims to be a general-purpose traditional distribution usable on
> server or desktop, not a hypervisor
> (although kvm and qemu packages can be found in the repositories).

I don't see why OpenIndiana can't be _both_. This is software after
all. More choices means more users means potentially more
contributors. I don't see why we should support only one way of
sharing and installing packages. This is orthogonal to the NGZ
appliances I mentioned earlier. Either way, I'll test/implement my
ideas, and  make them publicly available.

On Sun, Sep 2, 2012 at 11:17 AM, Magnus <mag...@yonderway.com> wrote:

> On Sep 2, 2012, at 11:18 AM, Alan Coopersmith wrote:
>
>> On 09/ 2/12 07:00 AM, Adam Števko wrote:
>>> IPS is documented in the official IPS Developer Guide located somewhere in
>>> the OpenSolaris/Oracle page. I went it through lately and I find it a good
>>> source for learning to work with IPS, in general.
>>
>> http://hub.opensolaris.org/bin/download/Project+pkg/files/ipsdevguide.pdf
>
> FWIW, I think this sort of response is a sign of ill health for Illumos.
> We're still pointing to Oracle for our own documentation. And, as we should
> know by now, Oracle has no problems withdrawing things from public view with
> no warning.

Agreed. Oracle is not a friend of Illumos. In fact Oracle is probably
Illumos's biggest nemesis (however inept and impotent they may be).
This documentation can probably be rewritten on the OI/Illumos wikis.
I will do this.

> Additionally, I see us debating about putting a lot of work into supporting a
> small fringe of users (desktop) while nobody is really talking about
> modernizing hardware support for ubiquitous 4K sector hard disks (and I mean
> beyond crude hacks).
>
> We're missing the big important stuff.

Well the desktop is important to me and others. So _I_ will personally
put a significant amount of work into things like having a modern
Xorg, USB drivers, WiFi drivers, and so on. That's what open source is
all about. I am not saying that engineers that are preoccupied with
other things that are actually relevant to their companies' business
plans, should do desktop work pro-bono, at no benefit to themselves.
People should scratch their own itches.

I stand by my claim that having Illumos work _adequately_ on the
desktop, can mean fresh talent for the Illumos community. Much how the
Linux desktop helps recruit potential contributors. This is, imho,
very important for Illumos. I see no logical reason why Illumos can't
be an amazing desktop system given that it has best of breed
technologies. It won't be able to inter-operate with proprietary
formats and protocols (skype, MS Office, etc), but that's why KVM is
an excellent technology for a desktop OS. I think community
contributions to desktop technologies should be encouraged by the
Illumos devs even if they have no interest in writing the code
themselves.

I am not saying that Illumos can dethrone dominant desktop OS's; we
can't, nor should we, cater to non-techies. I am saying that it can
grab a fragment of those desktop power-users (those that run linux,
for example, but would like to use something better, because it comes
at no personal cost to them, but can help them significantly).