No, I believe it's just the grab size so it doesn't have to check back with
the db every time a record is inserted. You can use the db's increment, but
at the time that did not work with OJB on SapDB. It may work now, but I
know for sure it didn't work on SapDB. I helped the best I could to provide
SapDB support for OJB. I just wanted a comparison on the two. I only found
a Castor JDO comparison on the Hibernate site.

Thank You,

Justin A. Stanczak
Web Manager
Shake Learning Resource Center
Vincennes University
(812)888-5813

                      Jason McKerr

                      <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       OJB Users List <[EMAIL
PROTECTED]>
                      g>                       cc:

                                               Subject:  RE: OJB vs Hibernate

                      03/31/03 04:29 PM

                      Please respond to

                      "OJB Users List"

I'm not entirely sure, but I'm guessing that the 10 count skipping is a
performance enhancement that prevents connections to the database.  That
alone makes it worth it.  However, there are built in ways now to use
sequence assigned through the database (a la select seq_name.nextval in
oracle).

Jason

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 13:03, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> It doesn't really hurt anything, but why throw away numbers. Why waste a
> key id number. I just makes the id number grow faster. I just find it to
be
> sloppy. I've never see a database that skips like that. I don't restart
the
> production app very often so there's no big deal there. Do you not see
that
> as a waste to increment the numbers like that?
>

> Thank You,
>
> Justin A. Stanczak
> Web Manager
> Shake Learning Resource Center
> Vincennes University
> (812)888-5813
>

>                       "Lance Eason"

>                       <[EMAIL PROTECTED]        To:       "OJB Users
List" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>                       erwire.com>               cc:

>                                                 Subject:  RE: OJB vs
Hibernate