Armin Waibel wrote:

Hi Gus,

sorry for your hassle, but I think "we" never said
that the current JDO implementation (prototype) is
full JDO 1.0 compatible or a rc. See docs for JDO:

Ah hmm well it is distributed in the RC :), and it seems that Core Java Data Objects - the Sun Microsystems Press book on JDO lists you as the 3rd most mature Open Source implementation (behind the Sun RI and Triactive JDO)... "Summary: O/R-mapping. Feature rich and actively maintained. JDO-compliant in combination with Sun RI. Full inedependent JDO implementation being worked on for 2.0" so others have been claiming it on your behalf it seems.

<snip from http://db.apache.org/ojb/tutorial4.html>
temporary note: OJB does not provide it's own JDO implementation yet. A full JDO implementation is in the scope of the 2.0 release. For the time being we provide a plugin to the JDO reference implementation called OjbStore . The OjbStore plugin resides in the package org.apache.ojb.jdori.sql .
</snip>

I saw this, but I don't care for my purposes if it is independant of the RI. A plugin would be just fine with me, so this seemed pretty positive. At this point it seems that mostly the only JDO problem so far is that either I missed where you said 1.0.1 doesn't work in the docs or you havn't specified that yet. That and the general OJB junit tests don't seem to be passing for me, but I am trying to figure out if I have done something wrong in my config there since others seem to be using OJB with 4.0.

In other feedback:

I tried to put a bug in scarab to report this, but scarab seems to have defeated my attempts to do so. It first confused me by putting up a text box for comments, on some other bug it thought was a duplicat (I entered my entire description there) and it was lost when I went on to the next page where it asked for the description for real. Then I tried again and it claimed I hadn't filled out all the required fields (or something the actual error message was truely cryptic, and looked like it might have been truncated or mangled somewhere) and it refused all attempts to convince it that the fields really were full. I gave up and tried again with a bug complaining about scarab and that seemed to work, which figures since I rather expected it wouldn't work and I should have been more polite about it. I'm a bit Mystified. I almost wonder if it blew up on some portion of the pasted build output or something like that.

Though scarab is definately prettier, I have to say bugzilla is quite a bit easier to use (though that may be because I am much more used to it and run one of my own). It definately needs more "what is this?" type links.

-Gus

PB-api and ODMG-api implementations are stable and used in production. The "real work" of the JDO implementation (backed by the OTM-api) will be start after the 1.0/1.1 release.

Gus Heck wrote:

Antonio Gallardo wrote:

Hi Gus:

First, you dont need to said:

I am getting the feeling that the JDO
implementation here is sketchy and really very beta or alpha, not so RC
ish... But I am probably doing something very wrong.

Please remember: You will find help on the list without making this type
of comments.

Yes I appologize, I was feeling rather frustrated, and not being very fair when I wrote that...

I've recently been burned by another technology so my fuse is a little short. I should get a new fuse :)

Now to the things:

Are you using JDO 1.00 or JDO 1.01? You need JDO 1.00. OJB does NOT work
with JDO 1.01.

Ah this appears to have been the problem. How strange that a maintainance release (by number at least) would be backwards incompatible. That must irritate the JDO implementors to no end. Thanks for your help.

-Gus