I struggled with this same problem when learning and working with OJB. My final solution was to run the build of OJB and then setup my project build to extract the generated SQL (the schema.ddl file) and copy it into my build area and use ant sql tasks to generate the tables. I know that this creates a minor dependency between the two projects, but that's fairly easy to manage. I have no need for setting up and utilizing torque in my project (I use Axgen to generate everything from UML), so it seemed like major complications to solve a simple problem.

YMMV.
Larry.

Brian McCallister wrote:

I have considered including the torque stuff in the ojb-blank project before, and opted against it as I thought I might be pushing too much complexity on users then.

Right now there isn't an *ideal* way to create the internal tables as most of the time people don't need them (though the hi/lo sequence table is needed enough that this may be incorrect, since it is the default sequence manager).

What are thoughts on including the torque generator stuff in ojb-blank? The ojb-core schema is already included in the src/schema directory, but the build-torque and torque related jars are not included. Now that I think about it, I have done this for all of the projects I have built around ojb-blank bits anyway, so that is a certain argument in favor.

In the short term, Thomas D has has a nice little walkthrough on getting torque from OJB setup in the xdoclet docs, but that is sort of hidden =) (note, we should probably move that into its own HOWTO).

-Brian