Your primary key should be one of the primitive wrappers, ie Integer instead of int.

If you use an int then it is initialized to 0, which is saved into the database as it is a valid int =( If you want autoincrement to work you need to use the Integer (or Long) wrapper. When the pk is null, it will autoincrement.

public class IncorrectThing { public int pk; }

public class CorrentThing
{
        public Integer pk;
}

IncorrectThing it = new IncorrectThing();
CorrectThing ct = new CorrectThing();

If "it" is stored it has a valid value for it.pk --> 0
If "ct" is stored it has null for ct.pk, so will have a value assigned.

-Brian