Thom,

The whole thing looks like this now, I don't use 1.0.4 though on production.
Does the attribute do anything then. It runs on rc7.

thanks,

    <!-- this connection was used as the default one within OJB -->
    <jdbc-connection-descriptor
           jcd-alias="databaseMySQL"
           default-connection="true"
           platform="MySQL"
           jdbc-level="2.0"
           driver="com.mysql.jdbc.Driver"
           protocol="jdbc"
           subprotocol="mysql"
           dbalias="//****************"
           username="*************"
           password="*****************"
            eager-release="false"
           batch-mode="false"
          useAutoCommit="1"
        ignoreAutoCommitExceptions="false"

    <attribute attribute-name="initializationCheck"
        attribute-value="true" />

        <connection-pool
            maxActive="21"
            minIdle="0"
            maxIdle="-1"
            maxWait="2000"
            minEvictableIdleTimeMillis="900000"
            numTestsPerEvictionRun="21"
            testWhileIdle="true"
            testOnBorrow="true"
            testOnReturn="true"
            validationQuery="SELECT 1"
            timeBetweenEvictionRunsMillis="900000"
            removeAbandoned="true"
            removeAbandonedTimeout="900000"
            whenExhaustedAction="2"
        />

        <sequence-manager className="
org.apache.ojb.broker.util.sequence.SequenceManagerHighLowImpl">
            <attribute attribute-name="grabSize" attribute-value="20"/>
            <attribute attribute-name="autoNaming" attribute-value="true"/>
            <attribute attribute-name="globalSequenceId"
attribute-value="false"/>
            <attribute attribute-name="globalSequenceStart"
attribute-value="10000"/>
        </sequence-manager>