Here my descriptor:

<jdbc-connection-descriptor platform="PostgreSQL" jdbc-level="3.0"
driver="org.postgresql.Driver" protocol="jdbc" subprotocol="postgresql"
dbalias="//{IPADRESSE}:5432/[DBNAME}?charSet=ISO-8859-1"
username="[USERNAME}" password="{PASSWD}" eager-release="false" />

You should also check your pg_hba.conf and your psotmaster should run with
-i option.
Sven.