aacid added a comment.

  In T10812#182201 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812#182201>, @ngraham wrote:

  > If you're suggesting that Kubuntu could change their versioning scheme,
that's a tacit admission that you do think there's a problem (otherwise there
would be no suggestion of a proposed change or solution). It's a problem from a
user perspective for just the reason I gave: users confuse our app versions
with Ubuntu's own version numbers. "Confused users" is a problem. I agree that
it's not a huge issue but I think it //is// an issue. Maybe it's not worth
fixing. But it's an issue.

  As i clearly said I don't think it's a problem, but if KUbuntu developers
think it is, it is something they have the power to fix by themselves.

  > In T10812#182195 <https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812#182195>, @aacid wrote:
  >
  >> > There are no LTS app versions the way there are with Plasma; distros
that ship Plasma LTS get stuck with old apps versions that have bugs which have
been fixed in later releases

  >> I personally disagree this is a problem. If distributions want bug fixes
they can either

  >> - update to a new release
  >> - do the work of doing an LTS branch themselves.
  >> - give us money so we can hire someone to the work for them
  >

  > Updating to a new release isn't an option for the discrete release distros,
particular for their LTS releases. Asking them to do an LTS branch themselves
or pay us to do it is unreasonable; it's our software and we define our release
schedule. All I'm saying is that I think adding LTS versions of apps is
something that would be really nice for the discrete release distros that ship
our LTS Plasma versions. Right now they can continuously take our LTS Plasma
bugfix releases to ensure that the Plasma they ship gets better and better over
time, but they can't do this for our apps. This isn't just bad for their users;
it's bad for us because we need to handle more time-wasting bugzilla tickets
for issues that have already been fixed from people using versions of our
software that could be 2 or more years old.

  No, we just need to get users away from bad distros. I'm 92.41% sure those
distros don't have any issue updating to a new firefox or chrome when it comes
out. But on the other hand they want **us** to do extra work for some weird
rule, i say **NO**,  they are the problem and we have to fight back.
Distributions decided they don't want to give users updates, they have to live
with that. Users decided they want to use a distribution that doesn't give them
updates, they have to live with that or change to a better distribution or use
snap/flatpak (a story we have to improve at some point)

  >> If this comes from an application developer that wants to maintain 3
branches (LTS, stable, devel) it'd be another thing. Do we know of any
developer that would like to maintain such scheme for KDE Applications?

  > I mean, that's what we do for Plasma and it's not a problem.

  Comparing Plasma and KDE Applications is like comparing RedHat with
BlueSystems, the amount of developer-power per line Plasma has compared to KDE
Applications is probably several orders of magnitude bigger, so what works in
one doesn't necessarily have to work in another case.

TASK DETAIL
  https://phabricator.kde.org/T10812

To: ngraham, aacid
Cc: aacid, #yakuake, #okular, #dolphin, #kate, #spectacle, #konsole, #gwenview,
#kde_pim, #kde_games, #kde_applications, ngraham