The FAQ says:

> I find duplicate editions or works. Can they be merged?
>
> No. Unfortunately, Open Library does not have this functionality as of
> yet. Duplicate records need to be merged by hand. When merging records,
> please be careful and make sure that no information is lost. Once that
> is complete, you can contact us with a deletion request for the now
> superfluous record.

    What does "merged by hand" mean here? AFAICT from the web editing
interface, the only thing I can do is create a new edition record for a
work, then cut & paste all the data from an existing edition record for
another (duplicate) work/edition. That is far more tedious effort than I
am (or I suspect, almost any other user of OL is) willing to put in,
when what we really want to do is change the association between an
existing edition record and the work that includes it.

    Is there a more efficient "by hand" process that's not apparent?

    Jon