The block's number on my 1937 is just forward of the starter.
Here is a list of such nbrs.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/GMhistory/cast.html
I couldn't fine it on my 1948 engine.
Head numbers are also interesting as many have been transplanted.
You have to remove the valve cover.
http://clubs.hemmings.com/clubsites/chevytalk/GMhistory/1916-57cast.html
I also have casting number success by just googling the whole number.
...bill 1937 1.5-ton
--- In old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com, Janice Bell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:

> Thanks Walt. Do you know where the engine casting number is located?
I have searched the inliners site and have come up empty handed.

>   Janice

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links