________________________________

From: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of vwnate1
Sent: Wednesday, December 19, 2007 10:31 AM
To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [old-chevy-truck] Top End Oiling

Good deal Dave

If it's been running over 5 minutes and still no oil to the top end ,
the oil passages between your late full pressure block and early Babbit
Pounder head prolly don't line up . (I didn't know you could use an
early head on a late block)

As mentioned , there might be a wasp waisted bolt gone missing or in
the wrong hole *but* there's a simple , GM APPROVED fix for this : run
a 1/8" steel line around from the oil pressure port on the left rear
middle of the block , around behind the engine and up to the 1/4"
pipeplug in the dead center of the cylinder head , that's what it's
there for ~ the early engines often clogged up the internal oil tube so
they added this port especially for problems .

DO NOT use copper tubing ! I know it's cheap and easier to work with
but it _will_ crack and leak in due time .

BTW : these engines (even the late 235 & 261) used by pass oiling for
the rockers so only expect to see oil weeping out of the rocker's weep
holes and maybe not any @ idle , it depends for each engine .

-Nate

OK She is running, it has 30 lbs pressure at the gauge. Checked
timing and dwell, perfect. The block is a 56 and the head is 53 so
maybe the oiling to the top is blocked? In the oil filter any ideas
for a filter number? I bought a fram canister, not quite right but it
is better then nothing. Next is brakes and change the fluid in the
rear end and start driving her.

Dave

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links