i wish i had your problems... lol
quote: "We are blessed here in town we have LMC, Classic truck parts and Jim
Carter's all within about 30 miles of each other. If anyone else has run into
this problem below please don't hesitate to post a reply."Kurt 58 3100 Apache
project the "Duracell Project" it keeps going... and going...When I die, i want
to go asleep and peaceful, not screaming and freaking out like everyone else in
the car.

To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: [EMAIL PROTECTED]: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 02:28:08
+0000Subject: [old-chevy-truck] Re: Clutch removal of '58 3 speed on a 235
engine

Thanks for the reply. I'm going to Chevy duty..er..classic truck parts tomorrow
I'll pick up a keeper and see if it will fit while I'm there. We are blessed
here in town we have LMC, Classic truck parts and Jim Carter's all within about
30 miles of each other. If anyone else has run into this problem below please
don't hesitate to post a reply.--- In old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com, "Kent S.
Butler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:>> great5852:> > I put my clutch and
transmission back together a few months ago. On mine the pivot ball was already
secured to the bell housing. I purchased a new clutch fork spring keeper,
inserted into the clutch fork and then just pushed the clutch fork onto the
pivot ball.> > Hope this helps,> > Kent Butler> '56 Chevy 3100> Houston, TX> >
> ----- Original Message ----> From: great5852 <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> To:
old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com> Sent: Friday, January 18, 2008 8:03:34 PM>
Subject: [old-chevy-truck] Re: Clutch removal of '58 3 speed on a 235 engine> >
Worked just like you guys said it would, THANK YOU!> As I'm cleaning things
back up and putting stuff back together have a > couple more questions. Does
anyone remember if their clutch fork > pivot ball seats completely into the
clutch fork ball socket? Try as > I might I can't get the clutch fork spring
keeper to seat in its > retaining slot with pivot ball nested in its ball
socket as I dry fit > it outside the bell housing. The pivot ball only goes
down > about...and rides about 1/4 inch into the base of the socket. Do you >
put the whole assembly back in and tighten it to the bell housing > while
attached to the clutch fork or do you screw the pivot ball in > to the bell
housing then try to pop the clutch fork onto the ball > with the spring keeper
already in place inside the clutch fork? I > don't see this working right. I
have tried putting the spring keeper > in both ways and am having no luck. Any
suggestions. Thanks.> --- In old-chevy-truck@ yahoogroups. com, "Bill" <bill@>
wrote:> >> > Very well put. Your proceedure discriptions are what I would have
> > versed 30-years ago; too old now. ...bill> > ============ =========
========= ========= =======> > --- In old-chevy-truck@ yahoogroups. com,
"vwnate1" <vwnate1@> wrote:> > >> > > > > > You need to loosen each 1/2" bolt a
turn or so , then turn the > > > flywheel to reach the next bolt , I like to
use a leather > gardening > > > glove on the ring gear to avoid cutting my palm
on the ring > gear's > > > teeth ~ I assume you've removed the sheet metal pan
across the > > bottom > > > of the flywheel , there's two hidden screws ,
acessable through > > holes > > > in the crossmember that are prolly filled
with greasy dirt right > > now > > > but you'll find them if you poke at it .
if you remove the spark > > > plugs , it's far easier to turn the engine ,
you're going to be > > turning > > > it a bunch on this job as that big cast
iron thing is the Bell > > Housing > > > and you don't remove it for clutch
work .> > > > > > Remember : only one turn of each bolt at a time , then move
on to > > the > > > next one , this way you loosen up the critical clutch '
cover ' > > > (pressure plate) evenly and won't warp nor bend it , once it's >
off > > > you'll need to clean the _entire_ flywheel untill it's hospital > >
clean > > > then put a dab of grease into the little bushing in the very >
middle > > > where the input shaft of the tranny goes for support ~ this is > >
called > > > the " Pilot Bushing " and if there's a curled up edge 'round the >
> middle > > > of the bushing's hole , it's dead and should be replaced .> > >
> > > When you install the new clutch , wipe down both metal friction > > >
surfaces with alcohol or brake cleaner and clean rags , use a > > clutch > > >
alignment tool and if the bolts are not all exatly alike , get a > > full > > >
set of brandy new ones in grade 8 with split lockwashers , > install > > them >
> > all loosely then turn untill snug and then go around and around > > giving
> > > each one only _one_ turn at a time with your socket wrench , this > > >
drawrs the Clutch Cover in evenly so it'll work right and last > > longer .> >
hold > > > it relaxed for easier installation , ASK the guy who sells it to > >
you if > > > this is so as you'll need to remove them _after_ you've tightened
> > all > > > the bolts .> > > > > > I hope this helps .> > > > > > -Nate> >> >
> > > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]>

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Yahoo! Groups Links