To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
From: lowerche...@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 2 Sep 2010 17:01:49 +0000
Subject: [old-chevy-truck] Re: NEW IN CRATE: 1948 -1954 GM Synchromesh
Transmission

      Seeing as top end in 1'st gear is about 5 MPH, you want to be stopped
when you shift into it anyways.  This gear is mainly for pulling stumps,
climbing steep hills, starting a very heavy load, and chugging along at idle on
a back road with a bird hunter sitting on the hood (I know that's illegal).
Second gear is about equal to first on a 3 speed.

Sometimes at a dead stop, going into this gear the teeth hang up on each other
and you have to let the cutch out just a little to spin the drive gears a
little.  Trick is to be subtle about it and not grind off a pound of teeth.

Bruce K

Mt. Iron, MN

--- In old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com, "Hanlon, Bill" <bill.han...@...> wrote:

> Doesn't mean anything at a dead stop.  Trying to engage 1st gear while the
> truck is moving will result in grinding of gears unless the driver has
> graduated Nate's Double-Clutching Academy.

Snip...