From: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Tom Johnston
Sent: Thursday, June 13, 2013 7:03 PM
To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [old-chevy-truck] clutch-head screw removal

HI
Dismanteling interior of 46' pickup interior. Some of you have been there.
Have worked all day and have 7 screws our and three with ruined heads
(cammed out) which I can't get out.

The problem is rust. I am using a fresh clutch head bit in a 1/4 inch drive
ratchet. I don't have enough power in my hands to use a straight driver. I
douse each screw several times with Kroil penitrant. I take it slow and use
as much downward pressure as I can. Some are so frozen that either the bit
starts to twist or the bit cams out ruining the screw head.

I tried Alden Grabit bolt and damage screw extractors to no avail. I tried
drilling but the screw head is really, really hard. I dull a fresh HSS drill

in about 20 seconds.

Should I buy a left hand drill? A carbide drill?

Should I use heat on the screw head?

Should I take a die grinder and carbide bit and grind off the head and
hopefully deal with the remaining stub somehow?

Has anyone here been there - done that?

Tom