Do you have a timing light?  If so, hook it up and point it at the
windshield.  Turn on the key and hit the starter.  If the light flashes the
plugs (at least the one that you hooked the timing light to) are getting
fire.

From: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
[mailto:old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of dazysnow
Sent: Saturday, July 06, 2013 11:41 AM
To: old-chevy-truck@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [old-chevy-truck] Re: Re : 216/235 & 261 Ignition Timing

The engine has to start before you can fine tune unfortunately. Ole Red has
never started after a year. I need a way to sit at the wheel and know if the
plugs are getting fire. I have no assistant and no one in this area will
work on anything this old. I guess the economy must be better than I think.
Ole Red has a 52 235 engine.