Kevin in Wisconsin here again.  Thinking about taking a hammer to my car
now after trying to install this Gear Vendors unit today.  Just kidding.
Today did not go real smoothly though.  I had beating my tranny tunnel
to what I've heard is approximately the right height.  Took the tranny
crossmember and degreased it, wire brushed it, and then used POR-15
metal mask on it (kind of a natural silver look).  It looked great.
Then I tried to install it today.  No fit.  I jacked the tranny/gear
vendor unit right up to the floorboards.  I could not fit the trans
mount between the GV adapter and crossmember.

After looking at my frame, I wonder if at some point the frame has been
bent.  Both sides of the car where the crossmember bolts in are tilted
up toward the underside of the car.  Does anybody know off hand if these
areas should be horizontal, or should they be on a tilt?  I tried to
fashion a home-made press tool out of 1/2" threaded rod to force the
frame downward and get maybe a 1/2" of play for the tranny mount.  No
luck.  It just won't budge.  I then realized that the back side of the
crossmember needs to be notched to allow fitment of the Gear Vendors
unit itself.  I had to grind out an area about 3/4" x 6" on the back
side of the crossmember.  That went ok.  Finally defeated, I took the
crossmember, beat then ends as much as I could with a mini-sledge to try
to gain a little height.  Not enough.

What I ended up doing is probably totally wrong.  Here is where you guys
come in.  Let me know what you think.  I took the crossmember over to
the bench and ground down the areas necessary to allow the crossmember
to ride UNDER the frame.  Right away, this seems wrong to me.  I
enlarged all holes to 1/2", and used 1/2" bolts, with 1/4" steel spacers
between the crossmember and frame (to allow for the shape of the
crossmember), and of course lock washers and nuts.  I used the impact
wrench to tighten them thoroughly, as I do NOT want them falling out and
wrecking my drivetrain.  After installing the crossmember under the
frame, I was able to use 1/4" spacers between the crossmember and trans
mount and I now have a comfortable (perhaps 1/4"-1/2") clearance between
GV and underbody.  It looks fine.  It hurt to grind up my freshly
painted crossmember.  I can SEE the two bolts on each side under the
frame.  Nothing that some black paint wouldn't mask a little.

Please bring on the dangers of this installation.  I really feel that
the frame has probably been bent by jacking under it in the past or
perhaps somebody beached it somehow.  The car is not original, and not
of serious show quality.  No matching numbers... so if I deem this
installation safe, I will live with it.

I have also heard that GV offers modified crossmembers that sit a little
lower, but all I've heard of are Chevy units.  I doubt that they are
going to have a Cutlass member in stock.  I chose to modify my
crossmember as it would obviously be the easiest thing to replace.

I look forward to your input.

Thanks
Kevin D. Wood
Rubicon, WI