> On Jan 18, 2017, at 2:38 AM, Stephan Budach <stephan.bud...@jvm.de> wrote:
>
> Am 17.01.17 um 23:09 schrieb Dale Ghent:
>>> On Jan 17, 2017, at 2:39 PM, Stephan Budach <stephan.bud...@jvm.de>
>>>  wrote:

>>> The cables are actually specifically purchased cat6 cables. They run about
>>> 2m, not more. It could be tna cables, but I am running a couple of those
>>> and afaik, I only get these issues on these three nodes. I can try some
>>> other cables, but I hoped to be able to get maybe some kind of debug
>>> messages from the driver.
>>>
>> The chip provides no reason for a LoS or downgrade of the link. For
>> configuration issues it interrupts only on a few things. "LSC" (Link Status
>> Change) interrupts one of these things and are what tells the driver to
>> interrogate the chip for its current speed, but beyond that, the hardware
>> provides no further details. Any details regarding why the PHY had to
>> re-train the link are completely hidden to the driver.
>>
>> Are these X540 interfaces actually built into the motherboard, or are they
>> separate PCIe cards? Also, CAT6 alone might not be enough, and even the
>> magnetics on the older X540 might not even be able to eek out a 10Gb
>> connection, even at 2m. I would remove all doubt of cabling being an issue
>> by replacing them with CAT6a. Beware of cable vendors who sell CAT6 cables
>> as "CAT6a". It could also be an issue with the modular jacks on the ends.
>>
>> Since you mentioned "after 6/2016" for the ixgbe driver, have you tried the
>> newer one yet? Large portions of it were re-written and re-factored, and
>> many bugs fixed including portions that touch the X540 due to the new X550
>> also being copper and the two models needing to share some logic related to
>> that.
>>
>> /dale
>>
> Thanks for clarifying that. I just checked the cables and they classify as
> Cat6a and they are from a respectable german vendor, not that this would be
> any guarantee, but at least they're no bulkware from china. ;)
>
> The X540s are either onboard on some Supermicro X10 boards, but also on a
> genuine Intel PCI adaptor. I will check some other cables, maybe the ones I
> got were somewhat faulty. However, this leaves only a few options  to the
> user, finding out, what is actually wrong with the connection, isn't it?
>
> Regarding the release of omniOS, I will update my RSF-1 node to the latest
> r18, the other two new nodes are actually on r20 and thus should already have
> the new driver installed.

I the ixgbe package installed on your systems has a time stamp after July 19
2016, it will have the updated code.

Regarding the X540s which are integrated on some of your SMCI X10 boards, does
a 10Gb link remain stable after you issue the following two commands in the
shown order:

dladm set-linkprop -p en_10gfdx_cap=0 ixgbeN
dladm set-linkprop -p en_10gfdx_cap=1 ixgbeN

Also, check flowctrl:

dladm show-linkprop -p flowctrl

For your ixgbe devices, this should be the default of "no"

/dale