Thanks for clarifying that. I just checked the cables and they classify
as Cat6a and they are from a respectable german vendor, not that this
would be any guarantee, but at least they're no bulkware from china. ;)

The X540s are either onboard on some Supermicro X10 boards, but also on
a genuine Intel PCI adaptor. I will check some other cables, maybe the
ones I got were somewhat faulty. However, this leaves only a few
options  to the user, finding out, what is actually wrong with the
connection, isn't it?

Regarding the release of omniOS, I will update my RSF-1 node to the
latest r18, the other two new nodes are actually on r20 and thus should
already have the new driver installed.

…any suggestion on some good cables? ;)

Dätwyler:
http://www.cabling.datwyler.com/products/data-centres/copper-technology/patch-cords/product/rj45-patch-cords-cat6a-iec.html

they provide detailed specs and test certificates for all of their cable types.

Thanks,
Stephan