Gary,

thanks for the summary.

I would NOT try to keep the version numbers in sync. Either way creates work
and I believe keeping them in sync creates much more work.

E.g. if you apply a patch to a jar file (let’s say an emergency security patch
which will come..) in a release branch does that mean everybody has to generate
a jar file with the matching version number and push it out even if nothing
changed? So that creates work for 31 projects (current count) when one project
fixes a bug in one jar file. Does even the documentation projects have to bump
the version number on there documentation because somebody edited a jar file?
That either slows down patching or generates a lot of work for a lot of people.

Even keeping mayor version numbers in sync is questionable to me. E.g. if two
years from now a new project is started and ONAP is on release 4.x.x does that
mean a fairly new jar file should start out with release number 4.x.x ? That
would indicate much more maturity then the jar file probably has at that point
in time and is misleading to the user.

So I would have an ONAP release number and version numbers of artifacts which
tie into a release. I am not quite sure why that would be more work then above.

Oliver